Privacy Notice Highlights
Information We Collect
We collect your information from the following sources:
- Information you give us when you fill out forms, such as credit card purchases, registering for an account, customer service inquiries, and surveys;
- Information from other sources, such as companies that help us to update our records; and
- Information that we collect automatically when you visit our website, such as information about your browser settings and other information collected through cookies.
How We Use and Disclose Your Information
- We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties.
- We use your information to provide products and services and to manage our business operations. For example, we use your information in order to fill your orders, answer your inquiries, authenticate you when you sign into online services, prevent loss and fraud, and analyze our business operations and website performance.
- We combine all the information we collect other than information relating to your browsing history.
- We share information with our affiliates who may be outside of Canada and may be subject to laws that are different from those in Canada.
- We use third parties to assist us in our operations. We may share your information with these third parties in order to provide services to you such as membership discounts or shipping.
- The Preference Center allows you to change your communication preferences with respect to e-mail newsletters and notifications of special offers and products.
- You may also close your account if you want to withdraw your consent from our further use of your information. We may, however, retain information about your previous transactions for audit purposes, to ensure the integrity of our data and to fulfill legal requirements.
How to Contact Us
If you have a privacy question or concern, please contact us at:firstname.lastname@example.org
In this Privacy Notice, the terms “we“, “our” and “us” mean All About Sign Language.
- About Us
This website [www.allaboutsignlanguage.com] is operated by All About Sign Language. We are located at the following address:
We have appointed a Chief Privacy Officer who is accountable for our personal information handling practices. Our Chief Privacy Officer can be reached at email@example.com
- Effective Date and Scope
This Privacy Notice is effective as of January 1, 2020.
This Privacy Notice governs our practices with respect to personal information we collect through the following websites and online applications:
All About Sign Language
- What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Personal information is information that identifies you or could be combined by us or our service providers and affiliates with other information to identify you. This information includes your name, personal e-mail address, your home address, your home telephone number, your personal cellphone number, your occupation, place of work, your education and work history, your image, and may include your age, your income and other similar information when associated with you. Personal information may also be information containing details as to whether you have opened our promotional e-mails or how you have used our website, if we can associate that personal information with you. If you are a business customer or prospective business customer, personal information does not include your title, business address, and business telephone number.
We collect personal information from you when you create an account, make a purchase, enter a contest or promotion, communicate with us using our web forms to make a request or ask a question, submit a product review, take a survey or otherwise submit personal information to us with your communication. For example, we will request credit card and other identifying information to process a credit card transaction when you purchase a membership or product through our website. We will also ask you for contact information in order to ship your product to you or the recipient that you designate.
We receive personal information about you from other sources. For example, we will receive information from credit card processors regarding whether the credit card details you gave us have been accepted or declined. We will receive information from shipping companies regarding whether the product we shipped was delivered or was undeliverable. We may also acquire information about you from other promotional or marketing companies with whom you shared your information and whom you have allowed to provide information to us.
We may also collect technical information when you visit our website. For example, this information may include the IP address of your computer, which browser you are using to view our site, your operating system, the resolution of your screen, your location, browser language settings, which site you came from, and your searched keywords. This information is used to measure and improve our site. It will not be combined with any other personal information collected through the site.
- How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use your information to provide products and services and to manage our business operations. Some examples include:
- to register your account;
- to authenticate you when you log into your account;
- to fulfill your requests for products and services;
- to communicate with you about your requests;
- to administer contests and promotions that you participate in;
- to recommend or to offer you other products and services based on your inferred interests;
- to post your information to our online Members’ Directory;
- to register you for events;
- to communicate with you regarding customer service issues and any product recalls or warranty service; and
- to protect the security or integrity of our websites and our business.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Information?
We retain your personal information for as long as it is required to maintain your membership, or perform the purpose for which it was originally submitted. Personal information will be deleted and otherwise securely destroyed when it is longer needed, except for whatever record may be required by law.
- Personalized Offers and Web Analytics
We also automatically collect information when you visit our website in order to customize your experience. For example, we collect information about what site referred you to our website, your browser type, operating system type and version, language, and your Internet Protocol (“IP“) address. We also collect information about how you browse through our website, including logging the pages you visit and the amount of time you spend on certain pages. We use this information for a number of technical purposes to ensure that our pages load correctly in your browser, as well as to personalize our offers to you. We also use this information to improve our website. For example:
- we use IP addresses to correct pages for your geographical location;
- we log the frequency of visits to certain pages on our website and how visitors navigate through our website in order to detect problems, improve our website and learn about what products and services are of interest to our customers;
- we use information about products that you have clicked on to make suggestions about other products or services that you might be interested in viewing; and
- we track whether certain types of promotional e-mails were opened by you and whether you sought information about a particular product or service in order to make inferences about other products and services you might be interested in.
Your Ad Choices: Interest-Based Advertising
Our website uses small pixel files (small images) and cookies (small text files) to keep track of your browser so that you will be recognized when you visit other websites where our third-party ad management providers may show you advertisements from us based on your visit to our website. Some of these advertisements may be customized to particular products and services that you viewed or they may be based on inferences about products and services that you might be interested in. This is called “interest-based advertising”.
These pixel files and cookies are generally valid for a limited number of days (usually no more than 90 days) and are provided by our ad management providers. We require our ad management providers to participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s Ad Choices Program. To visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s Your Ad Choices website where you can find out more information about digital advertising and how you can opt-out of interest-based advertising.
Please note that if you opt-out of interest-based advertising you may still see advertisements from us on other websites. However, they will not be customized based on your browsing history on our website. In addition, we will continue to customize our offers of products and services to you when you are on our website unless you block cookies from our website. If you block cookies on our website, certain functions, such as the “shopping cart” will not function properly because our website must recognize you as you move through the checkout process.
- Regarding Children and Minors
Our website and the services offered on our website are directed towards individuals that are the age of majority in Canada or their applicable jurisdiction, whichever is greater. We will not knowingly collect personal information about minors.
We do not allow minors (persons who are under the age of majority in their place of residence) to create accounts, make purchases or enter contests or promotions.
- Do We Disclose Your Personal Information to Others?
We may share your personal information with our service providers that help us with our business operations. For example, we may share information about your identity with our corporate sponsors that provide discounts and services based on membership. We share information with service providers who provide us with marketing and promotional services. We require our service providers to keep your personal information secure. In addition, our service providers may not use or disclose personal information for any purpose other than providing the services on our behalf unless they or we have obtained your consent.
We may transfer any information we have about you in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of our business or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control.
We may also disclose your personal information if it is necessary for us to collect a debt from you or where we have reason to believe that it is relevant to the investigation or decision to investigate a breach of the laws of Canada, a province or territory of Canada, or a foreign jurisdiction, and we are legally permitted to do so.
- Law Enforcement Requests
We will disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent if we receive an order, subpoena, warrant or other legal requirement issued by a court, tribunal, regulator or other person with jurisdiction to compel disclosure of your personal information. If we receive a request from a police officer or other law enforcement agency for access to your personal information in the course of an actual or potential investigation, our policy is to require the police officer or law enforcement agency to obtain an order, subpoena or warrant, unless the information is urgently required to prevent serious bodily injury or serious damage to personal property.
- Storage Outside of Canada
Your personal information may be used or stored by us or our service providers outside of Canada. We require that our service providers safeguard your personal information. However, if your personal information is used or stored outside of Canada, it will also be subject to the laws of the country in which it is used or stored.
- Preference Centre
If you register for an account, you will have the option to choose what marketing and promotional e-mails and communications you receive from us. You can also store information such as your home and shipping address and credit card information in order to make future purchases faster. You will also be able to review your order history, past product reviews and track shipments.
You can modify your information by logging into your account and making the requested changes. You cannot modify your display name.
You may also choose “close my account” and we will remove your account information from active use. Any product reviews will be listed as from a “former user”.
If you do not re-activate your account within 90 days, we will permanently delete your account. Please note that we still maintain information that you provided to us for audit purposes or to comply with our legal obligations.
- How Do You Access and Modify Your Personal Information or Make a Complaint?
If you have an account, log in to access and to modify the personal information stored with your account. If you have questions or concerns about other personal information collected by us and would like assistance accessing that information, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
We take administrative, technical and physical measures to safeguard your personal information against unauthorized access, unauthorized disclosure, theft and misuse. This includes limiting access of employees to, and the use of, your personal information through the use of passwords and graduated levels of clearance. We do not publish all of our security measures online because this may reduce their effectiveness. We take physical precautions to ensure that the computer servers on which your personal information is stored and archived are secure and that access to such servers is protected. We educate our employees with respect to their obligations to protect your personal information and we require our affiliates and any third-party service providers to take comparable steps to ensure the protection of any of your personal information that is shared with them.
Although we take precautions against possible breaches of our security systems, no company can fully eliminate the risks of unauthorized access to your personal information and no website is completely secure. We cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss or breaches of our security systems will never occur. Accordingly, you should not transmit personal information to us using our website if you consider that information to be sensitive, or legally privileged.
- Links to Third-Party Websites and Social Network Plug-Ins
You may be able to access third-party websites through links available on our websites. You may also connect to social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. These links are provided for your convenience. We do not have any control over those third-party websites and we do not provide any guarantee that the privacy practices of the hosts of those websites meet our standards. Your use of such third-party websites is at your own risk and will be governed by the privacy policies of those websites and not by this Privacy Notice. Do not transmit personal information using those websites without reading the privacy policies governing those websites.
You may create links between our website and social networking sites. If you do so, we may be able to publish updates about our products and services to your social network account through the links that you establish. You may terminate those links at any time by modifying your social network account.
If you are logged into a social networking site when visiting our page, your visit to our website will be personalized based on your social networking profile.
- Notice to Persons Outside of Canada
The laws of Canada and the Province of Ontario govern this Privacy Notice. By submitting personal information to us, you understand that your personal information will be subject to the laws of Canada and Ontario.
In addition to any information that you choose to submit to us, we or selected third parties may use a variety of technologies that store or access information already stored on your personal computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone, or other electronic device whenever you visit or interact with our website.
The Information Collection Technologies
A few of the methods that may be used to store or access information already stored on your device include the following (and in the future other technology and methods may be developed and applied):
- Cookies — a cookie is a text file placed on a device when a user visits a website. Cookies can be temporary (e.g., session) or permanent (e.g., persistent). They can also be first party (e.g., placed by us) or third party (e.g., placed by a third party advertiser or advertisements server);
- Flash cookies — a Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file placed on your device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your device. This can operate across all your browsers;
- HTML5 — HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage and do not require a plug-in; and
- ETag or entity tag— an opaque identifier assigned by a web server to a specific version of a resource found at a URL that acts as a form of device identifier.
Information About Why We Use These Technologies
We use the technologies above in order to deliver, measure, and improve our website in several ways, including:
- Authentication and Security
- to log you into your Account;
- to protect your security;
- to let you to view content with limited distribution; and
- to help us detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate the Website Terms and Conditions.
For example, these technologies help authenticate your login information and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your account. They also let us show you appropriate content through our services.
- to remember information about your browser and your preferences;
For example, cookies help us remember your preferred language or the country that you are in. We can then provide you with content in your preferred language without having to ask you each time you visit the website.
- Analytics and Research
- To help us improve and understand how people use our services; and
- to review the functionality of individual pages.
For example, we may optimize and improve your experience by using cookies to see how you interact with our services, such as when and how often you use them and what links you click on. We may use Google Analytics to assist us with this.
- Personalized Content
- To customize our services with more relevant content.
For example, local storage tells us your seniority in the legal profession, and allow us to suggest events and educational sessions that are more appropriate to your field and experience.
- To help us deliver ads, measure their performance, and make them more relevant to you based on criteria like your preferences and visits to our ad partners’ websites.
Third-Party Collection of Information
We have provided you with information above about the types of third party information storage or gathering techniques on our website. This information does not apply to applications, technologies, or sites that are owned and/or operated by other parties (such as app developers, third party advertisers or third party ad servers), even if they use our technology to store or collect data. This includes third parties that embed our technology in their apps or advertisements to facilitate download tracking or advertisement serving.
Your Consent and Your Right to Refuse the Use of Information Collection Technologies
You have the right to object to the use of information collection technologies.
Regular cookies may generally be disabled or removed by tools that are available as part of most commercial browsers, and in some but not all instances can be blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Each browser you use will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options in this regard. These tools may not be effective with regard to Flash cookies or HTML5 cookies. For information on disabling Flash cookies go to Adobe’s website.
Please be aware that if you disable or remove these technologies some parts of our website will not work and that when you revisit our website your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.